Sky and Telescope's Hot Astronomy Product for 2008! The Baader Planetarium Hyperion 68° Modular Eyepieces offer world-class performance and unique photo-visual features at an unheard of price. No longer do amateurs need to spend more on their eyepieces than their primary instrument, in order to get true high-end performance in a wide-field eyepiece. Not just a different branded version of their highly regarded cousins, the Hyperions have been totally redesigned to deliver better transmission, contrast, and useful new features. Baader Planetarium of Germany has worked hard to give the Hyperions the world's finest optical coatings, superb mechanics, and their unique multifunctional design.
As a visual eyepiece, the Hyperions deliver superb sharpness and color fidelity across their 68° wide, flat-field even in fast telescopes. In comparison to the Pentax XL eyepieces, the Hyperions matched the Pentax in every regard, and at just over 1/3 the price! From their superb on-axis and off-axis sharpness to their pitch-black high contrast field, the Hyperions really work. Viewing through a Hyperion is notably comfortable and relaxing due to their forgiving eye-position, 20mm of eye-relief, extra-large eye lens, and an optical design that is free of annoying 'kidney-beaning' and blackouts.
Some highlights of the Hyperion Eyepieces:
• Consisting of 8 elements in 5 groups (3.5mm - 21mm), the Hyperion optical design delivers outstanding sharpness and color correction over a 68° wide apparent field (65° for the 21mm). The Hyperion optical design has been chosen to deliver a exceptionally comfortable view, thanks to its 20mm of eye-relief, large eyelens, and a pupil free of the kidney-beaning and blackouts common in many wide field eyepieces.
• The new 24mm uses a different optical design and delivers outstanding performance over its 68° wide apparent field. It is totally free of blackouts and other annoying exit pupil behaviors, delivers long eye relief (17mm), virtually zero distortion, and is sharp to the edge even in fast telescopes. Its flat focal plane is particularly suited to very fast newtonians that use coma correctors. The 29mm field stop makes the 24mm Hyperion the widest 24mm eyepiece we know of. The 24mm Hyperion is also the smallest and lightest of the Hyperions.
• High grade water-white glasses are used throughout to deliver a crystal clear view with low scatter and excellent color fidelity, free of the yellow or bluish coloration imparted by many other eyepieces. Use of high-index glasses delivers low distortion and astigmatism, even on scopes as fast as f/4.
• Baader Planetarium has gone to great lengths to give the Hyperions the most advanced multicoatings ever used on amateur telescope eyepieces (please note: these are not the same coatings other manufacturers use on their similar clones of these eyepieces..). The Hyperion Phantom Group multi-coatings and coating equipment are proprietary to Baader and have been designed by German coating engineers specifically for the Baader Hyperions and optimized for each of the glasses used. These coatings are applied with the latest thin-film German coating equipment, training, and process controls. The result are coatings that truly rival the best in the world - including the famous Zeiss Abbe Orthoscopic! The difference is clearly visible - users report that the Hyperions clearly show fainter stars and darker sky than the competitive clones.
• The proprietary Hyperion housings have been engineered by Baader to incorporate careful opto-mechanical design and execution of internal baffling to eliminate stray light and ghost reflections. Uncapping the eyelens reveals a pitch black interior, with no distracting and contrast-robbing glints of light from unbaffled lens or metal surfaces.
• Superb fit and finish - eyepiece barrels are accurate to size, nicely machined, and hard anodized.
• Works in both 1.25" and 2" focusers. The 1.25" barrel is threaded for filters and kept short (0.94") to work well in binoviewers and spotting scopes. Baader's new housing incorporates a full-length 2" barrel (0.94" long) and provides a specially designed tapered locking recess. In addition, the Hyperion field stop locations have been re-designed and optimized to give the shortest focus position possible (important for binoviewer use).
• Soft folding rubber eyecups work for both normal and eyeglass users. Each Hyperion comes with protective lens caps and leatherette storage pouch.
• All Hyperions accept popular Astigmatism Correcting Lenses (not available in the USA though). The Hyperion eyelens housing is compatible with the full range of correcting lenses from 0.25 to 3.5 diopters. Observers with any astigmatism will really appreciate this feature, no longer needing to wear eyeglasses to see stars as true pinpoints. The long 20mm eye relief of the Hyperions works particularly well with these corrector lenses, without forcing the observer to press their eye close to the lens in order to see the entire wide field.
• Removable Negative Lens Element permits variable focal lengths using Baader's new 14mm and 28mm Finetuning Rings (sold separately). NOTE: The 24mm Hyperion is a different optical design and does not permit the use of Finetuning Rings to decrease focal length.
• Great for Binoviewing! Baader has tried most of the wide field eyepieces on the market that are suitable for binoviewing, and the Hyperions are at the top with the very best. When compared to some wide field eyepieces developed especially for binoviewing, they found the Hyperions were superior in every aspect: more comfortable view with better eye relief, smaller housing diameter at the eyelens gives more nose-room, better coatings (=better contrast), wider field, and half the cost. Their favorite wide field bino eyepieces are the 8/13/17/21/24mm Hyperions. The new 24mm Hyperion works superbly in binoviewers, and delivers the widest true field of any 24mm wide field eyepiece. Some users with narrow interocular separation may find it is necessary to remove the thin rubber M54 protective ring in order to increase the 'nose clearance'.
Baader Hyperions incorporate some unique and innovative aspects, which are designed to make them the ideal projection eyepieces for imaging applications:
• The optical design of the Hyperions enables them to work as an extremely sharp wide-field projection eyepiece for even large chip CCD and DSLRs.
• The eyelens barrel has been provided with two different external threads, M43 and M54 (these are covered by the removable rubber eyecups). A wide variety of adapter rings enables cameras to be directly and rigidly close-coupled for afocal projection photography, or variably extended for classical eyepiece projection imaging with T-Adapters and Extension Tubes. A series of 16 threaded rings (sold separately) provides compatibility with just about every digital (CCD/DSLR) and video camera made, even large and heavy 3-chip video cameras.
• The front negative lens element is designed to be removed (and exposes an M48 2" filter thread). This converts each Hyperion into a longer focal length high-quality projection eyepiece, giving the imager two choices of focal length with each eyepiece. NOTE: The 24mm Hyperion is a different optical design and does not contain a removable front element. However, the Front Barrel can still be removed in order to attach 2" filters in-between the 1.25" and 2" barrels. This is particularly convenient for users of 2" filters.
Table 1: Combinations of Hyperion Eyepieces with Finetuning Rings (FTR) to Modify the Focal Length
|Effective focal length in mm||With 14 mm FTR||With 28 mm FTR||With 14 + 28 mm FTR||Without first group of lenses|
Nov 30, 2012
Quality at a reasonable pricePros:
Quality Lenses,Accurate,Strong ConstructionCons:
I purchased this based on the capability of changing focal lengths. The views are great, and the ability to change focal length keeps me from having to drag a big box of eyepieces around. It can be a bit frustrating removing and adding the tuning ring(s) in the dark. Laying everything out in an organized manner and practicing indoors prior to observing is recommended.
This review was provided courtesy of AgenaAstro.comNov 5, 2011
Excellent eyepiece, Quality imagesPros:
Quality Lenses,Accurate,Strong Construction,Easy to UseCons:
The eye is well built with excellent finish, good quality lenses and coatings, the focal length is variable. I have used with a 120mm refractor and offers good quality images. Although is a little heavy, definitely for the price, overall quality is amazing!
This review was provided courtesy of AgenaAstro.comOct 28, 2011
Fantastic value, excellent viewsPros:
Quality Lenses,Strong ConstructionCons: Comments:
An excellent eyepiece. Wide field views, sharp, flat images nearly to the edge. Highly recommended. If Televues are too rich for your blood, check out Baader Hyperions. And note also that with a single eyepiece, you can have variable focal lengths.
This review was provided courtesy of AgenaAstro.comJun 1, 2011
Amazing Flexibility and quality.Pros:
Accurate,Quality Lenses,Strong ConstructionCons: Comments:
Excellent lens coating. Ability to receive T-2 adaptator.
Lens caps and pouch included.
Great flexibility and options.
Various focal lenght with fine tunning rings resulting in five eyepieces in one purchase.
(21mm, 17.6mm, 15.5mm, 14mm, and 32.2mm)
Minor problem with sealing that results in condensing moisture between the lens, requiring disassembling and cleaning. Keep it warm in pocket.
This review was provided courtesy of AgenaAstro.comDec 25, 2010
Quality Lenses,Strong ConstructionCons:
For the price, this is a very good eyepiece. Using it with my 8" reflector telescope, it provides great views of rich star fields, nebulae and clusters. The only con would be that it is a little heavy, so the leveling of the telescope must be done with extra care. Other than that, is one of the best investments in equipment that I have done.
This review was provided courtesy of AgenaAstro.comDec 18, 2010
Quality Lenses,Strong ConstructionCons:
I use the product on my 8" SCT. I have a 2" visual back and am able to use the eyepiece at 2 fcal lengths without additional equipment. When used in a 1.25" diagonal the focal length is 21mm. howerver when the 1.25" adapter is removed, the focal length becomes 32mm. I use the eyepiece for my telescopecalibration routines and it works quite well. When I use the optional 14 and 28mm Fine Tuning rings three additional focal lengths are available. when I use 2" filters or combinations of the fine tuning rings there are 6 focal lengths available with the one eyepiece. I also have a 13 mm Baader eyepiece. These two units and the fine tuning rings allow the following approximate focal lengths: 32,23,21,18,16,1,13,11,9,8 mm.
One more point to be discussed is the ability to connect your camera directly to the eyepiece via a 42mm-t adapter. The 42mm female side screws onto the eyepiece (you need an optional 43mm adapter to do this) and the male T adapter is on the other side. This allows the camera to be mounted directly to the eyepiece. There are also optional extension tube available.
I haven't tried the eyepiece with the fine tuning rings and extension tube combination. I am not sure of the amount of flexure that may be present. When using the Finetuning rings I have to place my eye carefully to the eyepiece to get a prober view. This can sometimes be frustrating ant the beginning. However, after some practice it becomes easier and the fun begins.
I am very satisfied with the Baader eyepieces. I will probably purchase a 8 mm unit which will expand my focal length capability down to 4.3 mm.
This review was provided courtesy of AgenaAstro.comDec 24, 2009
STOP SEARCHING NOW!!!!!!Pros:
Strong Construction,Accurate,Quality LensesCons: Comments:
What compliments can I heap on these ep's that someone more experienced than myself has not already said! There is a lot of "hype" out there about these ep's, and they live up to every last bit of it. Sadly, no reviewer will ever find the words to describe the excitement you will feel when you look through one of these if you are stepping up from Plossls. I do not have the experience that alot of the other reviewers do who have commented on these. I'm a newbie. But, from one newbie to the countless others who are looking to upgrade, I can tell you definitively that your Plossls are bound for the yard sale after using these! The Orion Nebula "popped" out in my 8" Dob even with three streetlights bordering my yard. The size of the thing was so much larger than I ever thought, as the crystal clear view revealed more of it than ever before. The texture of the image was amazing. It was as if it was my first time seeing it!!!!
I know a lot of people don't like the size and weight of these eps', but I love the way they look and feel! They make Plossls look and feel like "tinker toys!!!" They perform beyond my wildest expectations, look great in the scope, and are so- easy and fun to use. I trully cannot imagine anyone being disapointed with these eyepieces.
I recommend the following:
-Get both fine tuner rings.
-Get an "8" too.
-Hold on tight!!!!
-Try not to giggle when your friends pull out their plossls.
DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY GOING WITH LESSER EP'S. BELIEVE ME WHEN I TELL YOU, THESE ARE THE ONES YOU'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR. STOP RESEARCHING, AND START VIEWING. IF YOU ARE ON A BUDGET, SAVE FOR THESE. THEY ARE WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!!!
When you DO get them, don't worry about thanking me. I've got 'em too. That's reward enough!!! Have fun, and best of luck in getting top dollar on your used Plossls!!!
This review was provided courtesy of AgenaAstro.comMar 27, 2009
Comfortable Eyepiece,Strong Construction,Quality LensesCons:
Not bad at all for the price. Very close to Nagler views, but would be better compared to a Panoptic. Slight coma on fast scopes at the edge. This is coma not seen when using a Nagler, though some coma is visable even in the Naglers with fast scopes. You can't get a whole lot better view for even 3 times the money. You could ge a little better view using a Pan, but at a higher cost. And only th Hyperions have the options for those who may want to try some afocal photography later.
This review was provided courtesy of AgenaAstro.comNov 26, 2008
This thing works!Pros:
Strong Construction,Flat field,Comfortable Eyepiece,Quality LensesCons:
I bought this as I didn't have a 2" eyepiece that I was satified with for use with my 14" F/4.7 (fast) dob. While it shows a little distortion at the edges, it is flat with pinpoint stars across most of the field. Better than my 2" MK70 and my Konig II which are now for sale.
This review was provided courtesy of AgenaAstro.com
- Skill Level
- Time with Product
Nov 19, 2008
- User Notes:
- Review by alanoodle of New York.
Great Versatile EyepiecePros:
Not overly expensive,Good quality image,Very nice packaging,VersatileCons:
Because I've always considered Astronomy a "hobby", I've always looked for a bargain when it came to purchasing accessories for the telescopes I've owned over the years. Thanks to Baader Planetarium, 'm pleased to say I recently bought at least two quality eyepieces for a single purchase under $120.
Baader's Hyperion 21mm eyepiece is part of a series of what they call "Modular" eyepieces in that it has components that may be used together or separately. There are also accessories that can be purchased to make these eyepieces even more versatile.
Like many of the wide field eyepieces that have become popular lately, the multi-coated 8-element Hyperion is essentially a 2-inch, 6-element 32.2mm Erfle with a 1-
This review was provided courtesy of AgenaAstro.comSort by
Apparent Field of View 65° Barrel Size 1.25" (31.7mm) and 2" (50.8mm) Bolt Case Included Yes - Free Agena Eyepiece Container Bolt Case Size Agena 65x80mm Coatings Fully Broadband Multi-Coated (Phantom Group) Height (with Eye Guard) 4.4" (113mm) End Caps 3 Eye Relief by Design 20mm Filter Threads Standard 1.25" (M28.5 x 0.6) and 2" (M48 x 0.75) Filter Thread Focal Length 21mm Lens Elements 8 Lens Groups 5 Rubber Eye Guard Yes Blackened Lens Edges Yes Manufacturer Baader Planetarium Eyepiece Focal Length 20.1mm - 30mm Eyepiece Field of View 61 - 70 degrees Eyepiece Series Baader Hyperion Barrel Type With safety undercut Eyepiece Weight 13.70oz (388.39g)