1. Final Announcement: We're Saying Goodbye to AstronomyConnect. Read Our Closing Notice.
Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Looks like a terrific place...I come in peace!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduce Yourself' started by icee_stars, Jul 8, 2018.

Looks like a terrific place...I come in peace!

Started by icee_stars on Jul 8, 2018 at 4:05 PM

12 Replies 2080 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. icee_stars

icee_stars Member

I simply love all things Astro, including science fiction classics like "War of the Worlds".
    I transported myself here by means of a link pertaining to a Byers 58 posting by one of the gentlemen here who is a friend of Ed Byers, I believe. There is no shortage of subject matter experts here, of that I am certain.

I bought my first telescope when 12 and loved observing the moon with my little 60mm Tasco but it was the faint but clear image of the rings of Saturn that got me hooked forever with all things Astro!

Pleiades likes this.
  2. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Greetings & Welcome! It's nice to have you join us.

We're a small and friendly forum, mixing oddball humor and science to create a unique and eclectic balance of ideas - and fun! Jump in at will and enjoy!

See you around the Universe(S)!

Dave

Nebula and icee_stars like this.
  3. icee_stars

icee_stars Member

Sounds like my kind of place, Dave!
    Your welcome comment is much appreciated, too.

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  4. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Hello welcome!

Nice avatar, I could look at the ring using a ridiculous 425x a few days ago with surprisingly good results and details.. :) A beautiful dso.

Dave In Vermont and icee_stars like this.
  5. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Croeso (welcome) icee_stars. AC is crazy but fun, and sometimes we even discuss astronomy. +1 with Saturn's rings, it's a showstopper every time. You just have to try Saturn with a #11 Yellow-Green filter lol.

icee_stars and Nebula like this.
  6. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Welcome to AC! You sound like you'll fit right in, lol:p! As been said, we're an eclectic lot and have lots of fun here. Probably the most unique astronomy community you'll ever find! Jump in and have a ball!

O'Siyo! (Cherokee greeting)
    Reggie

icee_stars likes this.
  7. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

You just have to try Saturn with a #11 Yellow-Green filter lol.

I second that, 13USD #11 will do magic on Saturn.

Dave In Vermont and icee_stars like this.
  8. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forums :)

icee_stars likes this.
  9. Pleiades

Pleiades Well-Known Member

Welcome Icee. Saturn was one of my first as well, and is still super special for me.

icee_stars likes this.
  10. Dave In Vermont

I think it's safe to say that we're all either certifiable Filter-Nuts* here, or are rapidly resembling that description! :p So we enjoy the things we can see with the minor addition (or, in some instances, subtraction) of a difference in the percieved wavelengths of color given to the view of such.

So, if you have any thoughts or questions about what these little colored doo-dads can do for you, you're in an especially good place for them!

D.

* "Filter-Nut:" One, like myself, who has a full case of these things resembling the textbook definition (psych.) of an 'obsession.'

Consider my case:

IMG_1347.JPG

"I don't match that description! Nah! Perish the thought!"

Orion25 and icee_stars like this.
  11. icee_stars

icee_stars Member

Item # 916938 Model # 16938
    CRAFTSMAN FILTER NUT

The product you searched for is no longer available. There are, however, many other retooled, refined, and readily available products. So feel free to explore our site.
    ;)
    There is no doubt, D knows about filters!
    I've gathered maybe a dozen or so planet/moon filters plus some for deep sky but now it's verified that one can never have too many filters, just buy a larger case to fit them. :D
    I have an old Televue Mars B filter I've used since 2003 but I can look around here and see what's current re: Mars. Thanks!

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  12. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

I have a few filters.

IMG_20170814_133905.jpg IMG_20170821_173703.jpg IMG_20180217_110223.jpg IMG_20180221_112415.jpg IMG_20180221_142808.jpg IMG_20180313_111238.jpg

13. Dave In Vermont

Unlike 2003's jaw-dropping Opposition - later fully occluded by a magnificent dust-storm putting the current one to shame - when the only choices of filters were mostly run-of-the-mill standard color-planetary filters, it was pretty much unprepared for. Sirius Optics came out with their now-legendary MARS 2003 Filter, which was based around the FL-D Filters used in photography, which is of a class of filters used to remove Green for taking photographs of people under flourescent-lights. But 2018 is a bit better prepared.....

In my collection for Mars this year, I have the following selections: The original Sirius Optics MARS 2003 Filter, B+W FL-D (Thanks to you, Gabby!), The TIFFEN FL-D Filter, the Orion Mars Filter, the Celestron Mars Observing Filter, and the Brandon (Vernonscope) #30 Magenta Filter. I'd likely spring the $$$ for an original TeleVue® Mars Filter, but I'm not prowling about in search for same.

BOTTOM LINE:
    The one I have recommended to people wondering which of the currently available filters to snag - I've been telling people to get the Celestron offering. Reason being is that is not as overwhelmingly Pink/Purple Magenta as the Orion. It does block Green, thereby delineating the Martian surface-areas between the desert-red, from the maria blue-green, but not also aggressively painting all deep-purple in the process. It's pink alright, but tolerable.

Mak! You are now a true Filter-Nut! This one's for you!

Orion25, icee_stars and Mak the Night like this.