1. Final Announcement: We're Saying Goodbye to AstronomyConnect. Read Our Closing Notice.
Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Hello from the windy city

Discussion in 'New Members Introduce Yourself' started by Synchrome, Oct 11, 2018.

Hello from the windy city

Started by Synchrome on Oct 11, 2018 at 10:49 AM

25 Replies 4559 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

I've never had back-focus issues with my Crayford/ST80. So I'd recommend holding-off on buying same until the issue arises.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

2. Synchrome

Synchrome Member

I'm overdue in getting a new eye-fone. With the new great apps they have these days (I've got Night Camera) where you can control shutter speed, ISO, and it even has a timer! So I'm thinking about getting Celestron's Nexyz smartphone adapter and do a bit of digiscoping. I like that it has that third axis where you can adjust precise distance between the lens and eyepiece.
    I've done piggyback with a DSLR and digiscoping with my old point-and-shoot camera, but I'm curious to see what results I can get with the phone.
    Eventually I'll probably get a (low-budget) astro-camera, but at the moment I don't have the time to set up and be out for most of the evening/night.. So when I have permission to go out, I'm observing!

3. Synchrome

Synchrome Member

Yep, bought some of the "red grease" from them! They do have a LOT of cool stuff. Even the LED "beacons" for your tripod...

4. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

It happens with certain eyepieces, predominantly 1.25" ones in my experience. I eventually only took out EP's that focused without the extension tube with my ST80. It just made everything simpler.

I discovered this the first time I used it with the new focuser. The 30mm Vixen NPL was fine. I could use a 6mm GSO Plossl with a 2.5x GSO Barlow. As soon as I put the 19mm TV Panoptic into the diagonal I ran out of focus length. I remedied this temporarily with the extension tube from a Celestron 2x Barlow.

With the ST102 virtually every EP I use needs an extension tube, so I just put the tube in at the start of the session.

It's always worth getting an extension tube with a Crayford.

IMG_20180405_113731.jpg

I have 50mm and 80mm tubes.

long.jpg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  5. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Well I have a few myself. But never found myself needing one. That figures, doesn't it? :p

'If you need it - you never have it. But if you don't need it.....'

Synchrome likes this.
  6. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

I've got assorted extension tubes of varying manufacture. I think Crayfords have always been weird. Neither my 2x or 3x TV Barlows focus in my GSO 150mm Newtonian, but every other 1.25" Barlow/Powermate will.

Weirdest thing is the 2" GSO Barlow won't focus in it! :confused: