1. Final Announcement: We're Saying Goodbye to AstronomyConnect. Read Our Closing Notice.
Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

What Can We Do To Raise Activity on Astronomy Connect

Discussion in 'AstronomyConnect Announcements' started by sojourneyer, Aug 16, 2023.

What Can We Do To Raise Activity on Astronomy Connect

Started by sojourneyer on Aug 16, 2023 at 4:55 PM

14 Replies 3585 Views 3 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. sojourneyer

sojourneyer Well-Known Member

With the ownership of AC by AA I am quite surprised by the degree of inactivity on this great site.

In the past several months since I began posting here, I have seen less than a handful of members posting on this site.

There are a lot of bots and guests but at the most I see myself and occasionally 1 other member online.

Let's support CA and join in with interesting questions and replies to fellow members!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2023
    Orion25, PXR-5 and Gabby76 like this.
  2. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

I am not sure what you mean by new ownership, the site has always been owned/ run by AgenaAstro.
    There are many people from the most common forums already signed up here but due to various circumstances they have not posted in a long while.
    There is little promotion of the site and little interaction with administrator(s)/ moderator(s).
    Without interaction with the 'staff' and members there is no site personality to interact with.
    Unfortunate as this could be a excellent community.

sojourneyer likes this.
  3. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Several years ago there was an issue with the AC website. This persisted for way too long, and by the time it was corrected we lost many/most of the active members. It was quite by accident that I found out the issues had been fixed and I could be active again. I was also very happy to see a few of the old members on the site.

Over the years my interest has shifted from observing to imaging. Because the weather has been so horrible I have not had opportunity to image. Even daytime solar has become elusive. Additionally, with age, physical constraints and changing priorities my time for astronomy is somewhat more limited.

I really would like to put all of my imaging equipment to good use and turn out some good deep sky and solar system images to share with everyone.

Gabby76, PXR-5 and sojourneyer like this.
  4. sojourneyer

thank you Ed for that info as well as motorcycle Gabby.
    I look forward to seeing some of the images posted here.

5. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Yeah, well, there's at least one bigoted twonk on here who has deterred some from posting.

Ed D likes this.
  6. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Mak, I don't know about the twonk, but as of last year I haven't been able to post. This was just like the last time this site stopped woking and we lost the majority of active members.

I hope this site is back up and running, and stays that way.

7. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Well, I wrote my post #6 and it wouldn't load. I logged out for a few minutes, logged back in, and now my post appeared.

I think the biggest thing that could be done to increase participation on this site is to get it running correctly.

8. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Happened again. I guess I have to log out and log back in every time I want to post something.

9. Mak the Night

The twonk knows who she is lol.

As for the site staying ...

[​IMG]

It's about to go 404!

10. Mak the Night

The twonk knows who she is lol.

As for the site staying ...

[​IMG]

It's about to go 404!

11. sojourneyer

Folks I had written several times about 5 months ago. Actually since Jan, and I was writing to Agena as to why no one could log in and post...
    Here is some of the correspondence:

JAN 16

Thanks for reaching out to us and I understand the site is undergoing some maintenance and work but is definitely going forward so you can look for it to be up and running in the hopefully not too distant future.
    Best Regards,

JAN 22
    Thanks for the feedback and we appreciate you like the site!
    The outage was apparently a larger technical issue than we were expecting and took some time to resolve but should be good going forward.
    Best Regards,

JAN 22
    Your request (164997) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.

JAN 23
    We'd love to hear what you think of our customer service. Please take a moment to answer one simple question by clicking either link below:

FEB 5
    Your request (166028) has been received and is being reviewed by our support staff. Please note that it may take 24 hours for us to get back to you.

To add additional comments, reply to this email. Please do not submit a new ticket.

FEB 6

Thanks for reaching out to us..

It is my understanding that the Astronomy Portal site is no longer supported, and will soon be discontinued. We apologize for the technical difficulties and inconvenience.
    We do have our Articles/Guides section that has a link at the top of our website. https://agenaastro.com/articles/guides

Best Regards,

FEB 10

It is my understanding that the Astronomy Portal site is no longer supported, and will soon be discontinued. We apologize for the technical difficulties and inconvenience.
    We do have our Articles/Guides section that has a link at the top of our website. https://agenaastro.com/articles/guides

Best Regards,

======================

During all that time I was telling them that the system continued to be down and no one could log it.

Well to all my friends here, I wish you all the very very best. Since then I have obtained numerous scopes and mounts. The latest is a Celestron C80ED with FPL53 glass. and today I picked up a Vixen Porta II Tall Plus mount for it.

And for Mak, I now have an Orion ST80 on an Omegon Baby AZ mount with a Skywatcher Star Adventurer Tripod. All up this rig weighs under 9 lbs.

Again take care all and be happy. f (2).jpg 16.jpg

12. sojourneyer

Folks I had written several times about 5 months ago. Actually since Jan, and I was writing to Agena as to why no one could log in and post...
    Here is some of the correspondence:

JAN 16

Thanks for reaching out to us and I understand the site is undergoing some maintenance and work but is definitely going forward so you can look for it to be up and running in the hopefully not too distant future.
    Best Regards,

JAN 22
    Thanks for the feedback and we appreciate you like the site!
    The outage was apparently a larger technical issue than we were expecting and took some time to resolve but should be good going forward.
    Best Regards,

JAN 22
    Your request (164997) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.

JAN 23
    We'd love to hear what you think of our customer service. Please take a moment to answer one simple question by clicking either link below:

FEB 5
    Your request (166028) has been received and is being reviewed by our support staff. Please note that it may take 24 hours for us to get back to you.

To add additional comments, reply to this email. Please do not submit a new ticket.

FEB 6

Best Regards,

FEB 10

Best Regards,

======================

During all that time I was telling them that the system continued to be down and no one could log it.

Well to all my friends here, I wish you all the very very best. Since then I have obtained numerous scopes and mounts. The latest is a Celestron C80ED with FPL53 glass. and today I picked up a Vixen Porta II Tall Plus mount for it.

And for Mak, I now have an Orion ST80 on an Omegon Baby AZ mount with a Skywatcher Star Adventurer Tripod. All up this rig weighs under 9 lbs.

Again take care all and be happy. View attachment 8315 View attachment 8316

13. sojourneyer

I have been trying to find some of my posts but can not do so. Are any of you having luck in this regard?

14. sojourneyer

I have been trying to find some of my posts but can not do so. Are any of you having luck in this regard?

15. Mak the Night

Personally, I'd get a better tripod for that Porta II.

16. sojourneyer

Here are my two recent additions.
    f (3).jpg e (2).jpg 1.jpg 16 (2).jpg

Mak the Night likes this.
  17. Mak the Night

I think it's getting more difficult to post ....