1. Final Announcement: We're Saying Goodbye to AstronomyConnect. Read Our Closing Notice.
Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Happy New Year Everyone

Discussion in 'Celestial Events' started by sojourneyer, Dec 27, 2023.

Happy New Year Everyone

Started by sojourneyer on Dec 27, 2023 at 6:31 PM

2 Replies 791 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. sojourneyer

sojourneyer Well-Known Member

Gosh I sure hope skies start clearing up everywhere. Here the skies are clear some days but the moisture is so thick.

I had my SCT out for a few hours to cool down and put a paper bag over it. When I went out the bag was drenched. Luckily there was no moisture on the corrector plate.
    I was able to use the scope for only about 15 min and took it inside.

Now to the subject at hand.
    Over the past year there have been only 4 members active on this site which is a travesty--Gabby, Reggie, Ed and I. Nightspore has sadly gone the way of the wind. And Agena does nothing to support the site.
    I have reached out to moderators, etc to no avail. Neigh any response.

This site is on its last heartbeats sadly.... we are the Last of the Mohicans.

2. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Hopefully the next few months will bring clear skies and I can do some deep sky imaging.

It really would be a shame for this site to go by way of the Do Do. I really like the laid back atmosphere and friendliness we have. If the heartbeat dies, where would we go? Please don't suggest Cloudy Nights! I joined in 2010 and haven't been active there in 5 or more years.

If you look at the stats in the MEMBERS ONLINE NOW (right column) there are always a multitude of 'guests' lurking. Clicking on 'guests: xxx' shows what they are looking at. Maybe this is enough to justify keeping the site going?

I did look at the Agena Astro home page and there is a link to Astronomy Connect, but that's it, no other info. If there would be just a brief mention of what Astronomy Connect is maybe we could attract some new blood.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
    sojourneyer likes this.
  3. sojourneyer

sojourneyer Well-Known Member

I do not understand how to see what guests are looking at. Could you provide me more help in that regard?
    I concur with your comment regarding Agena Castro promoting this website.