Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Venus in UV First Image

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Orion25, May 6, 2023.

Venus in UV First Image

Started by Orion25 on May 6, 2023 at 10:31 PM

2 Replies 866 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

I got my Astromania Planetary filter set last week and played with some imaging using my Orion 180mm Mak and ASI 224mc camera. I wasn't expecting too much because of the cheap price of the set (around $80 US for the UV, IR, and methane filters) but I was pleasantly surprised to get some good detail! This is a first image that I plan to improve upon. No ghosting, but it seems to be a bit out of focus. I have the Antlia UV filter on the way which is a bit more expensive (around $200 US), but still cheaper than the Baader or Astrodon; it has great specs and I expect good things from it.

ASTRONOMY - VENUS (UV FILTER ASTRO) 5-04-23 B.jpg

Regards,
    Reggie ;)

Ed D likes this.
  2. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

W O W ! ! ! That's impressive. I looked up the filter set and it seems to be great for what we are doing.

I imaged Venus this April 30 using my ZWO 850nm IR filter in the TV-85 with 3x Barlow. It's pretty bland and not worth posting. In 2018 I used this same setup and actually got an image with detail, but nothing like yours.

Reggie, you're a bad influence (in a good way). Now you have me thinking about spending more money on the Astromania filter set. :)

Ed

Orion25 likes this.
  3. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Thanks! I was shocked at the detail, Ed. Now, if I can tighten up the focus I can really get some good images. Here's the set:
    https://astromaniaoptics.com/produc...N14n6rAblAPPJMAxeBhRlDN9S78o0NpcaAn3FEALw_wcB

I can't wait until I get the Antlia UV filter!
    https://telescopes.net/accessories/...V9KDt-bY0NxLEKpNO8EkXq91Ed4vTmShoCeCAQAvD_BwE

Regards,
    Reggie :)

Last edited: May 7, 2023
    Ed D likes this.