1. Final Announcement: We're Saying Goodbye to AstronomyConnect. Read Our Closing Notice.
Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Post A Photo Of You And Your Classic / Vintage Telescope

Discussion in 'Vintage Telescopes & Equipment' started by clintwhitman, Sep 27, 2015.

Post A Photo Of You And Your Classic / Vintage Telescope

Started by clintwhitman on Sep 27, 2015 at 4:41 AM

58 Replies 17271 Views 6 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. LewC

LewC Well-Known Member

Dave in Vermont, I'm afraid that Sorbothane under each leveling pad won't solve the vibration problem with this mount. But I happen to have a trilobite fossil from the Pre-Cambrian era, so I might paint an image of it on the fiberglass tube. :p

clintwhitman and Dave In Vermont like this.
  2. clintwhitman

clintwhitman Well-Known Member

OK I am going to have to look in my cool photos to post one! Lets see. How about a good friend and fellow darn big scope brothers......... Guess Who it is??

Mike C and 10inch Istar.jpg

3. clintwhitman

Think 10" Istar..

4. LewC

LewC Well-Known Member

Bonco?

5. KeithF

KeithF Well-Known Member

I lived a couple miles from him in Bellevue, NE if that hint helps.

6. KeithF

KeithF Well-Known Member

Well Clint, I believe we are the only two on this board that know Mr. MC.

7. John Higbee

John Higbee New Member

A picture of my Celestron 14, Celestron 8, and me at last year's Almost Heaven Star Party! AHSP 2015 Campsite.jpg

8. KeithF

KeithF Well-Known Member

Nice! That 14 definitely isn't a grab-n-go! Every now and then I'll setup my ETX-90 next to my 8" LX3 to make me think I have a big SCT. :D

Bomber Bob likes this.
  9. BillN

BillN New Member

Here's a little vintage scope:
    Bill aka Bonco
    128-1.jpg

Attached Files:

10. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

Not mine, but here are some pictures I took at NEAF

11. BillN

BillN New Member

Well, I guess to stay true to the thread I should post a pic of me and a classic. Here's me in the early 70's with my trusty RV6 that I bought with paper route money in 1961. I still use it frequently.
    eclipse.jpg

12. clintwhitman

I am sure glad to see you folks are still out here. Great photos and great FREINDS.

13. Eduardo Costa

Eduardo Costa Active Member

I do not know who is more vintage, me or my scope ....

14. KeithF

KeithF Well-Known Member

No one has guessed who the individual in your photo is yet Clint. Maybe you need to add another hint like..... Tasco 20TE. ;)

15. mikey cee

mikey cee New Member

IMG_3769 (800x533).jpg
    Ok boys here I is. Glad to find you again Clint. Keith here gave me a heads up on CN as to where you had gone. I've still got the Tasco 20TE and the 10" Istar. I added a Byers 10" drive I believe earlier this year. I'm in the process of moving to a new custom built country home with an attached observatory and all. I'll post pictures at a later date as things aren't yet finished. ;) Mike

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  16. mikey cee

mikey cee New Member

Here's that Tasco in case anyone doesn't believe I own one. :rolleyes: Mike Tasco 20TE April  2010 019 (Medium).jpg 3507564-Tasco%2020TE%20Restoration%202009%20035%20(Medium).jpg

17. KeithF

KeithF Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Mike!

18. Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob Well-Known Member

Classic ATM Scopes

5 ATM Classics S02.jpg

From top to bottom:

- 6" F23 Mystery Maksutov-Cassegrain -- Unknown ATM & unknown optics. The ATM incorporated a Unitron 75mm focuser, and (maybe) copied the light path of the 1960s Tinsley 8" Cassegrains with that funky right angle rear assembly that uses an elliptical diagonal on the tilted plate. It has to be reassembled exactly as built, or the views will not be good.
    - 4" F5 A. Jaegers Richest Field Refractor -- I built this OTA using a "second" Jaegers lens (probably from the 1970s). The only defect is what looks like a clamshell, but is most likely where a grinding tool slipped and grooved one side of the flint element. I designed the lens cell to mask this, which reduced a 110mm aperture down to 104mm.
    - 4" F10 Ralph Dakin Refractor -- Bought this scope from another CN member. Unknown lens with an unusual 7mm gap between the two elements. Impressive integrated baffle system. It's a tube within the tube with a funnel / light cone that's held in place by 3 external screws. These were filed flat with the OTA before it was painted.
    - 4" F15 Edmund Scientific Dall-Kirkham Cassegrain -- I bought the NOS mirror set made in 1974 by 3B for Edmund. The box contained the original inspection reports. I cannibalized a Celestron PowerSeeker 114 for most of the OTA, but added an ATM aluminum & brass helical focuser purchased from another CN member.
    - 5" F5 Triplet APO -- My latest ATM purchase. Unknown ATM & unknown optics. The lens is an air-spaced triplet with the largest clamshell of any scope I've ever owned. Both sides of the damaged middle element were painted flat black to mask this defect. As an RFT, it beats my 4" Jaegers for showing faint stuff; and, I've used it successfully on lunar & planetary up to 170X without false color.

Out in the shed, but not forgotten, my 6" F4 Newtonian:

ATM 150mm F4 Newtonian - S12 (Polaris Eagle Mount).jpg
    Unknown ATM & unknown optics (still trying to identify the mirror set). The OTA hardware is mostly Edmund, and the scope included a black & white Edmund 6x23 "jewel" finder stamped (T). The tube is prettier than the picture -- it's like amber with a bit of glitter in the paint.

Not one of these 6 ATM scopes cost more than $500 -- some were much less than that. None of these oddballs is the best among their peers, but the views are good enough to keep, and they're a tangible link to the history of our hobby. They have character, that's for sure.

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  19. Pleiades

Pleiades Well-Known Member