Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Venus 05/28/2023

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Ed D, May 29, 2023.

Venus 05/28/2023

Started by Ed D on May 29, 2023 at 6:30 AM

2 Replies 734 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Last night turned out to be clear and beautiful, a welcome break from the recent onslaught of storms. Conditions appeared perfect for imaging Venus, so I set up my 6" Mak. I needed to align the laser pointer so I targeted the moon. The image on the laptop screen was really nice, so I decided to do a casual capture, just for the fun of it, no IR/UV cut filter.

2023 05-28 Moon final.jpg
    Moon shot 05/28/2023

Now for the serious work. I carefully aligned the planet on my screen and did captures in both Violet and IR 850nm. I made sure all the capture settings where as I wanted, the tracking near perfect, etc. Several captures later I had a wealth of data and finished up on Venus.

Just for the heck of it, I spotted Mars and decided to do a casual capture just to see what would turn up.

2023 05-28 Mars final.jpg
    Mars 05/28/2023

Not bad for such a late image of this tiny planet.

So, I'm sure you're wondering where the heck these beautiful images of Venus are. After many attempts at processing I trashed them. They were that horrible.

Glad I took the casual images of the moon and Mars, or else I would have come up empty handed.

Ed D

Orion25 likes this.
  2. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Exquisite moon shot. Is that Copernicus front and center? Wait, those are the Apennines...must be Eratosthenes, and Copernicus in the shadow. And Mars - you're still able to get detail? Bravo! I am very curious about your Venus now :D

3. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Hi Reggie, hope all is well. You are correct about the lunar craters. Had I used an UV/IR Cut filter the lunar detail could have been sharper and more contrasty. When I pointed the scope at Mars and looked at the laptop screen I was certain I would get more than an orange blob. It actually turned out pretty well, considering how late in the apparition it is.

Venus has been a big disappointment. I know how to image planets, but I'm just not getting the results. I'm going to keep trying as time permits.

Orion25 likes this.