Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Jupiter and Mars - 11/26/2022

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Ed D, Nov 27, 2022.

Jupiter and Mars - 11/26/2022

Started by Ed D on Nov 27, 2022 at 10:14 AM

2 Replies 400 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Last night the sky was bright and crystal clear, so I decided to set up my TV-85 with the ASI290MC camera and 3x Barlow. It was hot, and the rooftops were radiating that heat causing image instability. The proliferation of LED lights doesn't help, especially with colors. It took some creative processing to come up with these images.

These first two images of Jupiter are from individual captures that were processed differently. In the first image I subdued the red more than in the second image. The Jovian moons are more easily seen in the first image as well:

2022 11-26 Jupiter 1of2.jpg
    Jupiter 11/26/2022 with moons Callisto (L) and Io (R)

2022 11-26 Jupiter 2of2.jpg
    Jupiter 11/26/2022

The following is the best of three captures I took of Mars. I'm not happy that the white polar region came out orange. I have a hard time dealing with the LED light pollution affecting the colors of my images. However, it looks OK:

2022 11-26 Mars.jpg
    Mars 11/26/2022

I'm hoping to get a few more and better images of Jove before it gets too far from us, and start to concentrate on Mars.

Ed D

Orion25 likes this.
  2. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Great images, Ed. I like the first Jupiter image best. Did you do an RGB align on the Mars image? It shows some good detail.

3. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Hi, Reggie. I agree that the first image of Jove looks the best. I may play with the second image a bit to subdue the red hue.

I always do an RGB Align when processing my bright planet images. It's simply a matter of checking the box for RGB Align in AutoStakkert. As far South as I am I don't experience the atmospheric refraction issues that the more northerly imagers do.

Ed