Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Saturn lags behind

Discussion in 'Observing Celestial Objects' started by Leonard, Jul 4, 2019.

Saturn lags behind

Started by Leonard on Jul 4, 2019 at 11:36 PM

2 Replies 2505 Views 3 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Leonard

Leonard Well-Known Member

Hi:

A few nights ago, 7/2/19, I happened to be outside late throwing garbage. It was approx 12:30 AM. I looked up at the sky (as most of us do) and noticed Jupiter shining brightly in the South and lagging behind Jupiter was a bright object that I believed to be Saturn.

I went inside and grabbed my Grab and Go scope, my Orion 80mm F7.5 ED on a Vixon Porta Mount. I took out several short FL EPs: 5.1mm Orion ED, 6mm and 12.5mm Sterling Optical Plossls, 6.3mm and 7.5mm Orion Sirius Plossls, and 5.5mm, 9mm, 14mm, and 26mm Meade Series 5000 Plossls. Also, my Celestron 2x and Tele Vue 3x Barlow’s.

I know that’s a lot of EPs. In fact I prob took out a few more. But, when observing planets, I like to go through my various EPs and EP/Barlow combos to see what provides a better view. I enjoy that slow methodical process.

At any rate, the sky cooperated nicely, and Saturn provided a very nice view.

Cassini was well displayed and easily observed. There was a dark shading on the outside edge of the ring.

Interestingly, I believed the planet provided a slight shadow on the rear edge of the ring system. But, this I could not verify as it seemed to come and go. It’s possible my eyes betrayed me, LOL I also enjoy the odd, almost 3D view that occurs as the ring system disappears behind the planet. Finally, if I looked close I could notice the slightly different shades of color on the rings and the planet.

The surface did not display many I distinct features, but I could make out faint cloud bands circling the planet. This seems to cause the globe’s surface to resemble a milkshake not quite formed, still being stirred.

Following the milkshake example, the Polar region provided the most detail. It was noticeable darker than the rest of the globe. This caused the clouds in that area to be much more visible.

After a few hours of observing Saturn, I turned to the area between that planet and Jupiter, to look for some DSOs some of which are beautiful nebulae.

I was unable to locate any nebulae. This was probably because I was getting sleepy. I did enjoy the 1/2 hour or so just slowly skimming through the area.

I wasn’t looking for a known star to “hop” to a known site. Nope, I just let myself go and enjoyed the wonderful splendor of the night sky through the 80mm scope and a 26mm EP. The Meade 5000 Plossl has a 6o degree FOV and along with a 14mm Meade 5000 plossl provides excellent wide views.

It was a very nice night.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    Ed D, Mak the Night and Scopejunkie like this.
  2. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Great observing report. Glad you spent a lot of enjoyable time on Saturn, eeking out details. I agree with you that the best nights are the ones where you can just let yourself go and enjoy the splendor of the night sky.

Ed D

3. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

You're about 8 months late on this report, Ed, lol. But it's a great one, nonetheless. I can't wait until the gas giants (plus the Red planet) grace the evening sky later this year. :)

Reggie